Polluted drinking water is killing us!
From the 2010 United Nations report titled 'Sick Water' :
- More people die as a result of polluted water than are killed by all forms of violence including wars.
- Worldwide, nearly 900 million people still do not have access to safe water.
- At least 1.8 million children under five years old die every year due to water related disease.
- Over half of the world’s hospital beds are occupied by people suffering from water related diseases.
- One fifth of the world’s population, or 1.2 billion people, live in areas of water scarcity, and this is projected to increase to 3 billion by 2025 as water stress and populations increase.